Connection: Differential Equations vs. Algebraic Equations
- Exercise: solve the differential equation y' = cos x.
- Exercise: solve the algebraic equation x^2+5x+6=0.
- Can you identify an important difference between the solutions of these two types of equations?
- y=sin x + C where C is an arbitrary constant. Note that the solution y is a function of x.
- Solutions to differential equations are functions, whereas solutions to algebraic equations are numbers.
Note: I am currently working on displaying equations properly. For now, x^2 denotes x to the second power ("x squared").